For awhile now I’ve always meant this space in blog-landia to be a blend of the best sports and parenting stories on the web. I’ve taken several u-turns and written about everything from IVF, recipes, threenagers, and interviews with pro athletes. But it’s time to put it all together in a weekly feature I’m calling
Hitting the Links, from the Locker Room to the Laundry Room!
the locker room
- Jessica Mendoza made history as the first woman in the booth for a nationally MLB Playoff game, such an outstanding moment for women! Unfortunately she received way too much sexist and negative backlash on Twitter. She handled it like a pro though with dignity and class.
- This one about a boy named Mitchell will make you tear up. It’s a modern day Rudy story of sportsmanship and heart, where everyone is a winner.
- Ed Werder of ESPN is used to asking the tough questions in his career as reporter for ESPN. But this expose on the health struggles of his daughter and her husband is the real news. And will you remind you to count your blessings, no matter how small.
- Sometimes we forget athletes are people too. Alfred Morris of the Washington Redskins proves he’s still just one of the guys.
- What is it with the Whip/Nae Nae song that makes these football tikes start dancing in the middle of play? Too cute video you have to watch!
And now the parenting stories making headlines this week…
the laundry room
- Did you know in the wake of all the school shootings that schools are now rehearsing for death? If you haven’t, please read this poignant and powerful essay written by a teacher who details what it’s like for her and her young students during lockdown drills.
- What parent doesn’t do this every damn day?! Perfection from Perfection Pending. (This may have been from last week but I love it!)
- The laundry struggle is for reals, and Blunt Mom Alison Tedford captures this tedious chore poetically!
- October 15 is National Miscarriage Day, and this is a beautiful read from a grieving mom at Gym Craft Laundry about remaining thankful through loss.
- Curious about education in other countries? Finland is getting it right! Must read about the joyful illiterate Kindergartners who are learning through play.
- Need a laugh? If you’ve ever done a cleanse or are thinking of doing one….READ THIS!